what does the circadian rhythm control?
Behavioral manifestations such as the sleep-wake cycles are also controlled by the clock - and it is important to note that, unlike normal clocks, our biological clocks are not synchronized and do not keep the same pace.
2. SKIN REPAIR
Late at night and early in the morning, while we sleep, the epidermal (or skin) stem cell creates new cells, replacing the aged ones. This happens when the body is supposed to be at rest and not disturbed - hence the importance of keeping a sleep-wake schedule.
3. THE SKIN BARRIER
The skin barrier is the first line of defence for the body against microorganisms and environmental factors. Throughout the day, the skin cells operate different activities to protect and defend the body - hence why the skin is more sensitive at certain times.
4. SKIN HYDRATION
Skin hydration is necessary to maintain a protective barrier against infection and dehydration. The water content of the skin has a daily rhythm, with minimum loss (through the pores of the skin) in the morning and an increased water loss during the night.
5. SKIN SEBUM
The skin has glands that produce sebum, which waterproofs and lubricates the skin and hair. Sebum excretion peaks around midday, with the lowest levels in the late evening and the morning.
6. THE SKIN'S DAILY RHYTHM
Skin cells also have their own clocks, which can function autonomously. Many external environments may also reset these clocks (pollutants, temperature, humidity, ultraviolet radiation…).
NIGHT 11PM - 6AM
sleep & repair
- Repair mode is activated
- Skin’s dehydration levels peak (Due to trans-epidermal water loss)
- Production of Melatonin (the sleep hormone) is at its highest
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-stress hormones are released
WAKE-UP 6AM - 9AM
correct & protect
- Skin is dehydrated due to trans-epidermal water loss
- Dehydration may impair skin barrier function
- DNA repair is less active
- Skin is more susceptible to UV damage
EVENING 6PM - 11PM
detox & renew
- Skin prepares for its night-repair mode
- Skin is most receptive to topical treatments
- DNA repair is boosted (skin is most receptive to treatments now)
- Melatonin begins to rise